Sunday 8 March 2015

Slushcup Race #6 - Fourth place

Result: Fourth place
Bike: Trek Superfly 9.9 SL, RocketRon/RacingRalph LiteSkin 2.25 - 1.4bar

Video(s): https://www.youtube.com/user/AlexanderLapajne/videos

This race, the sixth one in the cup, was advertised as "short, technical". This means 60 minutes + the lap and well, the technical part, can mean anything. In this case it meant huge amounts of roots and mud. This was one of the most technical mountain bike races I've done. So the track did not play to my strengths at all - I was worried. The situation before the race was that I had a 2 point lead on Jørgen Petersen-Bach and 6 points ahead of Palle Jensen in the standings. 

Results:
Slushcup #6
Cup standings

Race story:
Knowing that it was going to be technical race I decided for low air pressure. Below 1.4 bar in front and 1.45 in the rear. I also rode almost all of the race with my fork in the open position, something which is very unusual for me (I often ride a race with the fork locked the entire time). I got to the track early and tried a lap and yes; huge amounts of roots and generally difficult terrain. The decision to run low air pressure was correct.
The start went well and I decided to advance early on, while still on gravel road, because I knew there was a climb starting as soon as we got into single track. So I passed into single track perhaps in fifth or sixth place. Probably my best start of this winter cup. 
I had to let Palle go because he loves this kind of terrain and he was lightning fast on it. I ended up fighting for positions with 4-5 other M40 guys for most of the race and I was in second place most of the time (with only Palle ahead).
At the end of the third and last lap I did however have to let two M40 guys go in the most muddy part of the track. I did catch one of the guys just before the finish line but as it was tight single track before the finish I had no means of passing him.
So I ended up in forth place, 1 second behind 3rd and 13 seconds behind second place. My first time in the cup not on the podium (so no podium photo this time, I'm afraid). However, my main opponent, Jørgen, finished in eigth so gained valuable points on him. Palle, of course, caught up with me and is now only three points behind in the standings.
The next, and last, race is the marathon next Sunday. Should be interesting


Conclusion:
It's good to start hard


The total Cup standings with one race to go: