Saturday 5 November 2016

Victory in the first Slushcup race


Result: 1st place

Bike: BMC Teamelite XX1 Fast Trak 2.2 / Fast Trak 2.2 1.35 bar (training wheels)

The first leg of the four race Slushcup took place in Denmark at Tisvilde Hegn. It had been raining for a couple of days leading up to the race so decided to race on my training wheels which have nice grippy and wide tires. The track however turned out to be quite nice, not too muddy, just with some slippery roots.

It's been a while since I raced (4 weeks I belive) and after keeping a semi-strict diet I've been enjoying food throughout October... and gained a few kilos. Today's track was quite hilly and in the uphills suffered from the chocolate consumption of the past weeks.

Slushcup has changed the setup for this year's cup: You ride 100 minutes MAX. Meaning all the laps that you finish in under 100 minutes count. After 100 minutes the race is over and if you're in the middle of a lap it doesn't count. This means it's up to the rider to judge if he manages to finish the current lap within the time limit.

The race turned out well: I held on to the lead group for about about half the first lap. After that we managed to form a second group, with amongs other's female world champion: Annika Langvad. This group split up and I ended up riding on my own after the second lap.

I slightly slowed my pace to allow any rider to catch up from behind, in order to form a new group, but no one came. So I ended up riding alone for almost an hour. Going out for the last lap I saw that I was catching up to a rider. I upped my pace but before I caught him two other guys caught me from behind. I went first over the last climb and just nailed it for the last 2-3km into the finish. I managed to create a gap and won my category, finishing 8 seconds before second and 9 seconds before third.



No racing for 4 weeks has rested my body, which is visibile in today's extreme max heart rate: