Monday 14 March 2022

How to make a video with overlays


Software

There are many different ways of doing this and different pieces of software that you can use. I'll describe what I use

1. Avidemux

I use Avidemux to splice the different files together as my camera splits the recordings up into multiple files. Also I use the program to flip the video upsidCle down and left-right. I need to do this because I have the camera installed upside down under the handlebars of my bike.

http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/ 

2. Garmin VIRB Edit 

I use Garmin VIRB Edit to add the overlay data. Both for importing the data (power, GPS, heart rate) and adding the graphics overlay.

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=6591 

 Avidemux

  1. Go to File/Open and select the first file of your video
  2. File/Append and select each additional file
  3. Under "Video Output" select "Mpeg4 AVC (x264)
    • If you, like me, record the videos upside down then also go in "Filters" and select "Flip" -> "Horizontal flip" and "Flip" -> "Vertical flip"
  4. Under "Output Format" select "MP4 Muxer"
    • You can probably select a different output here but MP4 Muxer can be used my Garmin VIRB Edit in the next step.
  5. Now select "Save Video" and wait A LONG TIME for the video to be exported.

Garmin VIRB Edit

  1. Import the video file that you just created in Avidemux
  2. Now we'll import the metrics data that you recorded during the ride using your bike computer. Download the file (FIT or GPX) from your Garmin Connect or Strava. In Strava you open the Activity and can select "..." and "Export Original"
  3. Select "G-Metrix" and click on the "Data" tab.
  4. Select "Import G-Metrix", "Source:",  "On My Computer" and select the file (FIT or GPX) that you exported from Strava or Garmin Connect.
  5. Click on "Use this Log"
  6. Now is the time sync the metrics data with the actual video. You probably didn't start recording the video at the exact same time that you started your bike computer.
  7. Select "G-Metrix Sync"
  8. Now use the sliders at the bottom of the screen to line up (sync) the video with the metrics data. This is a tricky part but you need to get it exactly right for the overlay gauges to work correctly.
  9. Now set up your gauges any way you like them
  10. Export the video and you're done!