Tuesday 29 June 2021

Croatian XC race: XC REŽANCI. First place!


Video from the race: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bietry7JH3g


I had time for one last mountain bike race in Croatia before leaving for Trans Alp next weekend, This race I found after another tip from my pal Marko. The race was on the Istria region of Croatia (an 1.5 hour drive away) called XC REŽANCI. All I knew really was that it was an XC race with 7 laps around a course (1hour + the last lap).


The race started at 6 o'clock in the evening which I found sort of weird. I understand that they want to have the race out of the mid day heat, but the usual way of doing it is to have it in the morning. I decided that it would be a good idea to test ride the course as it may be technical so I got there two hours before the start. Did three laps and it turned out to be a really good idea. It's a very twisty-turny lap with lots of short downhills and uphills. Very intense! A couple of drops as well.


I decided to use the Race Kings for the race but as I saw the track I realized it had some sections with lose gravel so I was afraid that perhaps I had chosen the wrong tire. Also, with the track being as tight as it was I was worried about it not playing on my strengths.


As the race started I took it sort of easy during the start loop (with a asphalt climb). On the first real lap I started advancing up the field, This turned out to be very satisfying as I was able to pass rider after rider. I think I must have passed about 20 or 30 during the race. I was only myself passed by a single rider on the last lap when I got in trouble trying to lap a back marker and had a small crash.


I crossed the finish line winning my category. Checking the other categories I would've won M40 as well and placed third in M30. In total I would've been in the top-10 which I think is really good. There were some 100 participants all in all.








Another really nice thing is that I got to meet this friendly Slovene family who were there supporting their son, Rok Jamšek. I also got to know Rok after the race. He did great in his category coming in third.