Sunday 27 May 2018

Långa Lugnet - Holding back a little bit

Bike: Cube AMS 100 C:68 SLT,  Rocket Ron 2.1 Snakeskin 1.50 bar / Thunderburt 1.50 bar

Result: 10th place


Quick summary

  • Strong on the climbs
  • Not going all in - Beskidy Trophy starts in 4 days
  • Great weather and fun race!
  • Did I go too hard anyway?

The Race before THE RACE


Långa Lugnet is a great Swedish marathon that I love to ride each year. However, this year it was on the Sunday just a few days before Beskidy Trophy started (Thursday the week after). So the big question was: Is it a good idea to ride a long race so close before THE RACE? Well, I rode it but decided in advance to not go all-in. What does that mean? Well, I didn't go out as hard as I do from the start because I didn't want to risk getting tired towards the end and "surviving" to the finish line. My opinion is that that kind of races really demand a long recovery. Also I decided to not "light any matches" during the race, i.e not do any small sprints to bridge gaps. I don't know if this was a good idea... I guess we'll see in a few days as Beskidy rolls around...


How did it go?


Well, I guess it went okay. I felt strong on the climbs. A bit less strong in the bumpy sections full of roots and stones. I did finish strongly catching up with cyclists towards the end. I ended up in 10th place... a bit worse than I had hoped.